Whether you’re a vegan yourself or just want to make something special for a vegan loved one in your life, finding vegan dessert recipes that are exciting rather than being lackluster can sometimes be a little bit challenging. That’s why we’re coming at you with this vegan chocolate cake recipe, which is so good that you won’t believe it’s plant-based. Here is how you make it.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your cake pan by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper.
- Then, combine the unsweetened almond milk and vinegar in a small bowl, setting it aside to let it curdle.
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients, including the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Next, add the oil, applesauce, vanilla, and the curdled almond milk/vinegar combination.
- Mix on medium speed with a hand-mixer until it is well combined.
- Now, carefully pour your boiling water into the mixture, stirring until it is well combined. It’s okay if the batter is runny! That’s supposed to happen.
- Pour the batter into your cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool and frost or decorate your cake as desired.